By Alexa Caruso
Trends come and go but your space is yours forever. So how do you switch-up your home style without breaking the bank? Here’s some tips on how you can freshen up the home style in your space with a new look for less.
- Get crafty – If you’re willing to put in some elbow grease you can change your space for pretty much next to nothing, and don’t forget you’ve got the whole online world willing to help (hi, Youtube tutorials). Suggestions run the gamut, but this option tends to suite those looking for a more rustic or industrial style since you’ll be repurposing items. For example, discarded crates + fresh coat of paint = super cute and stylish stackable storage containers. You can even use discarded wood to create rustic new shelving or a whole new backboard for your bed! The point is, you’re only limited by the depths of your imagination, so think outside the box.
- Grab a paint brush – While it might sound intimidating at first, painting a whole room, just a wall, or a piece of furniture can work wonders to refresh a space. Your local paint store might even be able to help you out with trendy (and inexpensive) wall treatments. Just make sure you select the right colour to accent your style, and don’t be afraid to be bold!
- Get moving – Well, your furniture that is. Revamp a space by moving things around. You’d be surprised how different the space will look and feel just by changing the layout. And of course, it won’t cost you a single dollar.
- Declutter, glow up and go green – Organizing a cluttered space can work wonders. Suddenly your room looks brighter and more airy when there’s less stuff distracting your eye. Once you’ve tackled that, make the space feel even bigger by adding a few mirrors. Cluster some smaller mirrors in a space for an interesting focal point, or put in one big one to make an impact. Add a plant or two to make the space feel even fresher.
- Thrift, thrift, thrift – If you’re interested in purchasing some “new” pieces for your space, consider hitting up online classifieds, antique or thrift shops, and garage sales. You’ll find some unique pieces for prices that won’t hurt your wallet.
- Accessorize – I.e. pillows, throws, a stack of books, a new table arrangement – all make for an excellent way to give an old piece of furniture a fresh new look.
- Shop smart – If you’re going to splurge and spend a bit of your hard-earned dollars, then try to invest in pieces that give you maximum impact. A full-length mirror might cost a pretty penny, but it will definitely make a statement in your space. If you’re going to buy new future, look into items that can do double-duty – essentially anything that can be used as a decorative piece but can be used for storage too. It will help keep clutter to a minimum (see no. 4!).
Hopefully you find all of these tips helpful, and for those of you moving into your first 1-bedroom space, check out our article THE COST OF FURNISHING YOUR 1-BEDROOM APARTMENT next week.